These advanced workshops with a special focus on geotechnical earthquake analysis are organized as a continuation of the basic course on Computational Geotechnics.
The workshops include theory and hands-on of dynamics, seismic analysis, liquefaction and the PM4Sand in finite element method. Attendees will take home practical skills for engineers working on geotechnical earthquake analysis. These workshops are not to be missed by anyone interested in earthquake analysis and FE geotechnics!
Lectures are provided by
- Dr. Ronald Brinkgreve (TU Delft & Plaxis)
- Professor Pedro Arduino (University of Washington)
- Dynamics and geotechnical earthquake analysis
- Dynamic analysis features in PLAXIS
- Ground response analysis
- Soil properties, damping and boundary conditions in dynamics analysis
- Free vibration analysis of a building & natural frequencies
- Liquefaction analysis and PM4Sand model
- SoilTest facility and calibration of PM4Sand parameters
- Ground response & liquefaction analysis
- Seismic analysis and liquefaction of a quay wall
The PM4Sand model is a stress-ratio controlled, critical state compatible, bounding surface plasticity model for sand, and was developed for geotechnical earthquake engineering applications by Professors Boulanger and Ziotopoulou at UC Davis. This constitutive model has quickly gained popularity, and its implementation in PLAXIS 2D is its first in a widely used finite element program. The availability of the PM4Sand model in PLAXIS 2D has significant advantages because it offers automatic sub-stepping, fast calculation times, and a user-friendly environment.
During the advanced workshop we will use the latest version of PLAXIS 2D. For users that are not acquainted with the latest version of PLAXIS 2D, it is recommended to check out the introductory version prior to the workshop. An introductory version can be obtained through the Plaxis website at www.plaxis.com/demo
The two-day program is arranged in intensive session blocks, allowing for a compact and time effective workshop. This workshop has a well-balanced mix of theoretical presentations and practical hands-on sessions, guaranteeing an ideal learning environment.
The cost of single two day workshop is US$ 1,200.
The cost includes lunches and coffee breaks. The fee also includes a binder with instructions and the use of a computer and PLAXIS 2D license.
Global Knowledge - Vancouver
1155 W Pender St, Suite 650
Vancouver, BC V6E 2P4