This one-day workshop is tailored towards practitioners in the industry to provide a good understanding of Plaxis 2D for Earth Retaining Structures and Deep Foundations in Urban Environment. The main goal of this workshop is to teach the concepts and practical use of the most relevant PLAXIS features for Earth Retaining Structures and Deep Foundations. For solving practical problems the PLAXIS 2D 2017 computer program will be used. It is recommended, though not required, that participants already have some basic experience with the PLAXIS 2D software.
During this day participants will become familiar with the different options that PLAXIS offers for modelling Earth Retaining Structures and Deep Foundations. The participants will get acquainted with the use of PLAXIS 2D by doing elaborated and well-documented hands-on exercises. During these exercises, individual assistance will be provided by experienced Plaxis tutors.
The workshop consists of one single day and will be held in English by a Senior Plaxis Engineer exclusively. The program format consists of three lectures and three exercises with full tutoring and discussion.
08:00-08:45 Structural Elements in PLAXIS 2D
- Main PLAXIS 2D functionalities
- Practical use in daily geotechnical engineering practice
- Possibilities and limitations
08:45-10:15 Slope Strengthening closed to Existing Railway Tracks
- CAD geometry import
- Soil nailing modelling
- Slope Stability
10:30-11:00 Factor of safety analysis in PLAXIS
- Introduction the strength reduction technique
- Practical considerations
- Advantages and limitations with respect to standard limit equilibrium analysis techniques
11:00-13:00 Retaining wall on piled foundation
- Piled foundation modelling in 2D
- Strategy to rigidly connect beam to solid with proper transfer of bending moment
- Equivalence 2D-3D for the piles and validation of the current 2D modelling approach
- Evaluating impact on existing building (differential settlement)
14:15-15:00 Modelling piles in PLAXIS 2D
- Introduction to embedded pile modelling techniques
- Practical considerations
- Advantages and limitations
15:15-17:00 High rise building on micro-pile
- Deformation evaluation
- Piles modelling technique
- Compliance Matrix Assessment for Structural Engineers
17:00-17:30 Questions & Answers session
The course will be held at NYU Tandon School of Engineering in Brooklyn, New York City.
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
6 MetroTech Center
The total number of participants is limited to twenty-eight (28). Registration will be accepted in the order in which they will have been received. To register for the course, please complete the registration form and send it to the course organiser before August 15th 2017. For registration and cancellation of the course our Terms & Conditions apply.